Treat your dog this Christmas with his very own honey and banana dog biscuits...
You can include your dog in the festive fun by giving him some home-made treats this Christmas. Why not go a step further and make him his very own advent calendar so that he can get one treat a day throughout the entire month of December? Make sure he works for his treats though, by asking him for a little trick you have been working on each time you offer a treat, such as a sit, down, give a paw, or rollover!
The RSPCA website has some great ideas for Christmas treats. Here is a recipe for honey and banana dog biscuits:
- Put one cup of whole wheat flour into a bowl.
- Add half a cup of creamy, unsalted peanut butter.
- Add quarter of a cup of mashed banana and quarter of a cup of vegetable stock.
- Stir everything thoroughly until it forms a dough.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out evenly onto a floured surface. It should measure about quarter of an inch in thickness.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
- Place the shapes onto an ungreased baking tray and bake in the oven at a low heat for about 18 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Leave to cool and store in a container with a lid.
Choose a peanut butter that doesn’t contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that can be toxic to dogs.
Ingredients to include in puppy treats:
- Sweet potato.
- Mashed pumpkin.
- Shredded chicken.
Ingredients to avoid: