Keep sweet treats away from your dog this Halloween!


11 October 2023
Halloween is known for its sweet treats, but a lot of the sugary snacks we consume over this period can be toxic to our pets.

It might be stating the obvious to some, but we know that many pet owners are unaware that chocolate is poisonous to our four-legged friends. In dogs, symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased thirst, panting and restlessness and in severe cases, it can result in muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure.

If you think that sugar-free sweets are safer for your dog – think again! They contain an artificial sweetener called Xylitol, which is even more poisonous to pets than chocolate. Symptoms your pet may show include vomiting, loss of coordination and seizures, and in severe cases – liver failure.

To avoid your pet eating any of the sweet stuff, we advise that you keep your treat bowl way out of reach from your pets. If you suspect they may have ingested something toxic, call your vet immediately for advice.

Content continues after advertisements