Leading pet care brand Bob Martin takes you through the essential steps all dog owners should follow to treat and protect their furry friends.
Make sure you’re ready for flea, tick, and worm season by following these essential steps to treat and protect your furry friends.
Did you know a single female flea can lay up to 50 eggs daily? That means that if you’re not careful, you could have an infestation on your hands in just a few days!
Luckily, Bob Martin has been working hard for well over a hundred years to make vet-quality, health-care solutions at affordable prices since 1892. They certainly know a thing or two when it comes to the importance of being prepared for the flea, tick, and worm season when it arrives.
During the spring and summer months, there’s a much higher risk of our pets coming into contact with parasites when we’re out on our walks in the warmer weather. If not properly treated, fleas can lay eggs in your home. Developing into larvae, they hide away in furnishings and under beds and sofas, where they grow into adult fleas and feed from human and pet blood.
An infestation can be tricky to clear if you are not using the correct products and treating your home as well as your pet. Not only are fleas, ticks, and worms pesky parasites, they can transmit nasty diseases, which are dangerous to pets and humans and can even result in death. Infectious diseases can include Lyme disease, anaplasmosis, and tick-borne encephalitis virus (TBE), which is why it’s critical to deal with the problem straight away.
THREE SIMPLE STEPS TO MAKE SURE YOU’RE WELL PREPARED
1. Check regularly to see if you’ve got a problem.
● Check behind your pet’s ears, head, neck, and between his toes regularly after walks. You should be able to feel a lump should a tick be present.
● Place your pet on some white paper, then comb him with a flea comb. Flecks of black, which change to red when you wet the paper, are signs of flea dirt.
● Keep an eye out for your pet constantly nibbling or scratching.
2. Treat your pet and your home.
If you’ve identified that your pet has fleas or ticks, here’s how to treat them:
● Firstly, use Bob Martin flea tablets, checking product instructions and weighing your pet to ensure appropriate dosage. The tablets provide an immediate response to treat infestations — killing all fleas within 24 hours!
● Alternatively, select a Bob Martin Clear Plus Spot-On product for your pet. Separate treatments are available for different-sized dogs over eight weeks old, and can be applied at intervals of four weeks.
● If used properly, these will completely eradicate the infestation and your dog should soon be back to full health.
● Even though your pet might be free of fleas, your home is likely to now have an infestation. To treat it, use our Bob Martin Clear Home Flea Spray Plus, which kills fleas and ticks on contact for up to three months, and spray it on all soft furnishings.
3. Preventing problems in the first place.
Prevention is vital, so it should be a key part of your pet-care plan. Be sure to follow these steps:
● Use our Bob Martin Clear Flea and Tick Repellent Collar, which prevents fleas and ticks for up to 12 weeks.
● As dog owners know, worming is an essential part of pet care. Choose the correct Bob Martin Clear Wormer for your pet — we recommend worming every 12 weeks to be safe.
● Use our Bob Martin Clear Flea & Tick Spray for Pets & Home, which is a high-quality preventative product that can be used on both pets and your home. It uses a ‘sticky trap’ that works against fleas at all stages of their lifecycle, ultimately stopping an infestation from taking charge of your home. It also contains a repellent to keep the fleas away from both your pet and his bedding.
By following the advice above, you and your best friend should be equipped to tackle whatever the dreaded flea, tick, and worm season throws at you!
For more information on these products, visit www.bobmartin.co.uk