Independent craft brewer, BrewDog has today announced the launch of its first bespoke craft beer for dogs, Subwoofer IPA.
- Subwoofer IPA is an alcohol and hopfree, non-carbonated beer, containing canine-friendly B vitamins and probiotics beneficial for dogs. Packed with citrus overtones and a familiar malt backbone, the brew is perfect for all four-legged friends.
- The Subwoofer IPA concept was originally developed by the kitchen team at BrewDog’s bar team in Liverpool who launched a prototype beer for pups and saw huge demand from the city’s dogloving community, who flocked in droves and tripled the bar’s Sunday traffic.
- Dog owners can now buy a bottle of Subwoofer IPA for £2.50 across BrewDog’s network of 39 UK bars, as well as via its online shop at www.brewdog.com/shop. (from 12pm today)
- To launch the new pooch friendly brew, on Sunday 2nd December BrewDog will be giving the first 20 dogs through the door of each UK BrewDog bar the chance to win a case of the dogfriendly Subwoofer IPA.
- In addition to the top prize up for grabs, each of the first 20 dogs will also be gifted a ‘doggy bag’, containing a bottle of Subwoofer IPA and dog treats.
- Since the success of the initial brew, BrewDog’s brewing team has been perfecting the recipe with an expert pet food consultant.
- Together, the teams conducted three rounds of tasting trials with 25 dogs to perfect the recipe and deliver maximum flavour for a pup’s palate. Each bottle of Subwoofer IPA has been carefully brewed with the same classic craft character of a BrewDog beer.
- Subwoofer IPA has been brewed from wort, the liquid created at the start of any brew, produced by heating malted barley grains with water or ‘brewing liquor’, and then blended with ingredients to make it suitable for canines.
- In addition to individual bottles of the new dog brew, which are available from today, BrewDog will be soon launching a twopack containing a bottle of Subwoofer IPA and a bottle of its flagship beer Punk IPA, for dog owners to enjoy alongside their canine buddy.
- Dogs have always been integral to the BrewDog story. The brewery’s name was inspired by cofounder James Watt’s chocolate Labrador, Bracken, the original ‘brew dog’.
- Last year, BrewDog launched its “pawternity” leave programme, which provides the Aberdeenshire brewer’s taskforce with 5 days paid leave to welcome a new dog into the family.
In July of this year, BrewDog launched its bespoke birthday paw-ty service for dogs, providing dog-sized party hats, dog-friendly cake and a specially brewed dog beer for all attending canines.