When heading out at night, it's important to remember a few simple things that can help to keep both you and your dog safe. Take a look at these top tips...
- Keep control of your dog and don't let him off lead unless you are in a safe, well-lit area.
- Consider wearing high visibility clothing so you can be easily seen by motorists.
- A reflective collar and lead or a high visibility coat/flashing collar will also increase your dog's visibility in the dark.
- Work out a winter dog walking route which includes both pavements and street lighting.
- If there's no pavement, walk against the flow of the traffic and keep your dog on the side furthest from the road.
- Carry a torch as it will help you to be seen.
- If possible, take your dog in the car to a place where you can walk away from the road; many parks and sports fields have lighting but always check that dogs are allowed.
- Walking in groups is safer than on your own.
- Take your mobile phone with you and let someone know where you're headed.