Take a look at these tips to help a nervous dog...
- Naturally more cautious than other dogs, nervous dogs need extra care when being introduced to new situations or meeting new people.
- Proper socialisation, and regular exposure to positive experiences, is key to these dogs, whose nervousness is generally inherited from their parents.
- It is easy for them to become overwhelmed by certain situations so it is up to their owners to ensure this doesn't happen.
- Lip licking, yawning, backing away, and hiding may all be signs of nervousness.
- If you see this behaviour in your dog, either move away from the situation or distract him by doing something he enjoys.
- In some instances it may be a good idea to seek professional help, from a qualified behaviourist recommended by your vet.
Content continues after advertisements